Got an Asus Eee PC 1005P

I thought it was a good idea to get a Asus Eee PC 1005P. Main reason is that my new NAS server features four 2 TB drives in RAID5 giving you 5.5 TB of storage to waste. Believe me my movie collection is huge. The QNAP TS-419P allows you to backup your data to an external USB drive, but it only supports a maximum volume size of 2 TB. The Eee PC I want to use to make the backups over my home network to a 2 TB and a 4 TB USB drive. Maybe a bit overkill, but I don't want to loose the files.
About the Eee PC 1005P. It's a relatively new netbook from Asus. It features the Pine Trail Atom N450 CPU running at 1.66 GHz. The memory controller and GPU have been integrated. The PC 1005P comes with 1 GB of memory. I spent a fair amount of time tweaking it:

  • I replaced the 1 GB SODIMM with a 2 GB module. It's 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 (VS2GSDS800D2 from Corsair).
  • Windows 7 Starter doesn't have the Personalization options in the Control Panel. The only way to change the desktop background is via Asus Docking. I prefer just a single colored background, so I made a quick screen capture of my desktop PC (50 x 50 pixels) and used that as background (in tiling mode).
  • Removed all crapware: Microsoft Works, Microsoft Live programs, Microsoft Office trial, Locate Me, Boingo Wif, Gamepark and  a game, Trendmicro anti-virus, Eee Splendid, Eee Vibe, Font Resizer.
  • Removed LiveUpdate, Eee Docking from the list of start-up programs.
  • Updated the touchpad, ethernet and soundcard drivers.
  • Disabled some services, including Microsoft's Seaport service.
For some reason it doesn't run well on battery only using the touchpad. Quite often Windows got stuck (programs not responding). As you as you put the AC adapter back in, it was ok again. I solved this by enabling performance mode in the utility called Super Hybrid Engine. The default state was auto.

I also noticed it doesn't support Gigabit ethernet despite what Asus tells you. I tried various things, but the NIC is stuck at 100 Mbps.

Overall, it's a nice little machine. It's not very fast, but fast enough for simple things like reading e-mail. browsing the web. I tried to install CoreAVC 2.0 and indeed it was able to decode a 720p movie (MKV) stored on my NAS server. Not that bad.

Comments